I have decided to bring it all back down. I miss sewing, I miss my fabric. The builders aren't due to start downstairs for a few months yet, anyway, and the project's already running behind schedule. Que sera. The last sewing I did was for a winter swap on Plastic Paradise. My first swap, so I had no idea how much or how little to make. Anyway, this is what I sent my swap partner:
On Plastic Paradise there's currently a sew-a-long - the dearest little jacket. I've been itching to have a try. Also, Juniper is long overdue some new clothes. My fabrics are really difficult to get to and I know I don't have enought felt, so I decided to repurpose an angora sweater that never should have been washed at 60 deg C.
I LOVE knits, and I LOVE repurposing - it gives me such a deep sense of satisfaction. I used to do it all the time as a cash-strapped teenager/student. (Necessity really is the mother of invention). So off I went. A fairly simple pattern. Most of those participating seemed to have run theirs up with ease. Not me! The first sleeve went in a treat. I was really pleased because a) I'd never set in a sleeve before, and b) I'd never sewn with knits before. I'd discovered the overlock stitch on my machine and it all seemed to work as it should - removing the thought that perhaps I should have a serger if I'm going to sew with knits. Self-congratulation all round.
I then sewed in the second sleeve - and realised I'd sewn it the wrong side facing. So I unpicked the overlock stitch on a stretchy fabric. I sewed it in again, and unpicked it again (I'd sewn it into the neckline). Then I cut out a new sleeve (the previous one's shape by now bore no relation to the pattern) and sewed that in. It was the wrong way round again. I flung it aside, cut out the entire pattern again (thank heavens it was an old jumper) and made this:
I pinked the edges, and hand-edged them with a wide whipstitch in a matching mohair yarn. I've thoroughly enjoyed my evening.