Friday 17 January 2014

Antique Blythe Re-ment at the V&A Musuem of Childhood

The following pics are all from the same dolls house, made in about 1880 and 1:6 scale.  Can't you just see your girls living in the lap of luxury here?  (Not the greatest of pics - all behind glass and camera-phone).

Beginning at the top of the house and moving down. 

The nursery - the baby dolls, their toys....... 


and then, to the left of the nursery, the main bedroom.  I love that that writing desk in the corner - actually I think it's worthy of being called an escritoire.


This photograph above is the drawing room.  

Below is my favourite!  All of those little kitchen utensils and pots and pans and moulds made out of copper.  There's even a copper fish kettle.  Then on the right hand side the clay jelly moulds and a little ceramic rolling pin!  My girls would don their aprons in a trice!   



Since becoming a Blythe collector, I find I'm now looking at all toys differently.  I always have liked toys and dolls, but more in a "not for me, I'm supposed to be a grown-up" way.  I realise that I've always loved teddy bears - especially older ones - and doesn't everyone love Winnie-the-Pooh?      



So here is a VIB - a Very Important Bear, made in 1927.  He's got such a lovely face with bright eyes and a kindly smile.  He reminds me very much of  Winnie-the-Pooh (who dates from a little earlier) in his proportions and the shape of his arms.  I can almost see Piglet and hear Christopher Robin calling.  (It's only tea, I promise!).

No comments:

Post a Comment